Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mike Keating: Bowler of the Week


Bowler: Mike Keating, 67, of York.

Latest bowling accomplishment: Rolled his high series of 757 at East Lincoln Lanes and two days later rolled his first 300 at Suburban Bowlerama.

I started bowling: Nearly 40 years ago.

Bowlers I’ve learned the most from: Frank Curry, Ken Dixon, Glenn Himes, Bill McCauslin and many more.

Best bowling advice I ever received: Slow your approach and get the ball out on the lane.

Most memorable bowling moment: When the 8-pin fell on the first ball of the 10th frame en route to my 300 game. It looked like it was going to be a stone 8, but it unbelievably toppled. With that break, I felt destined to roll my first 300.

Part of my game I’m working on improving: My timing—coordinating my footwork and arm swing.

Bowling appeals to me because: I love the competition and the challenge.

Non-bowlers don’t realize: How important making your spares are to becoming a good bowler. They tend to think it’s all about the strikes.

The toughest part about bowling is: Keeping your concentration.

Future goals: Roll another 300 game and become more consistent.

Note: Colony Park Lanes North hosts the Don Kauffman Tournament, 9:30 a.m., Sunday, Jan. 16. The tournament features an eight-game format on the sunset pattern. Top prize is $800, based on 40 entries. Entry fee is $60. For more information, call 848-6262.

Bowler of the Week is submitted by the York County Bowling Proprietors Association. To nominate a bowler, send email to bowleroftheweek@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment