Sunday, February 13, 2011

Green rolls back-to-back perfect games


Chad Green admitted he was somewhat embarrassed by all of the attention.

But when you roll back-to-back perfect games like he did recently at Colony Park North, you are guaranteed to draw a crowd and have news of the feat spread faster than Hollywood gossip.

Green became only the eighth York County bowler to put together back-to-back perfect games en route to an 823 series. His strike streak reached 27 before he was stopped by a 9-pin in the fourth frame of the third game.

After chalking up his ninth career 300 game in the opener, Green continued striking.

“Around the sixth or seventh frame of the second game, I thought, ‘I need to pay a lot of attention.’ I didn’t want to get distracted and lose my focus,” said Green, a 38-year-old right-hander.

By the 10th frame, a crowd, hoping to witness a piece of local bowling history, had started to gather around Green’s lanes, and Green heard bowlers in the background discussing his chances of back-to-back perfect games.

“My adrenaline was pumping, but I was actually very calm,” he said. “I reminded myself not to rush and do everything the same way I had all night.”

After burying two more strikes, he was on the verge of an once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“I was still calm, my legs weren’t shaking and I was feeling confidence,” he said. “I was trying to block everything out of my mind. When the ball came off my hand, I was confident it was going to be a strike.”

There was no doubt about the final strike, which unleashed a barrage of high fives and congratulations.

Although he was ecstatic, Green wasn’t ready to take the rest of the night off. He knew he still had a shot at Adam Mobley’s house record of 866.

A disastrous 4-7-10 split in the sixth frame, however, ended his quest. Green described it as an “errant shot,” one that he bumped out too far on the lanes.

“I really wanted the house record,” said Green. “But you can’t be too disappointed after rolling back-to-back perfect games.”

No comments:

Post a Comment