Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hanover bowling team sets county record


Pella Corporation team members recently had their sights set on a big prize at Hanover Bowling Centre, but they unknowingly ended up with an even bigger prize.

The team of Barry Gulden, Neil Smith, Don Smith, Brent Hunter and Adam Baer knew they had a chance at the Hanover Bowling Centre team record of 3,656.

The Thursday night squad tallied 3,757 pins, shattering the house record by more than 100 pins and the county record by two pins.

Neil Smith led the way with an 814 series, while Hunter added a 782. Don Smith, Neil’s father, contributed a 724 series and Baer was close behind with a 722. Gulden chipped in with a 715.

The previous county team record was 3,755, set by Dan Ledwith, Ben Marvel, Rick Bretz, Bob Workman and Jake Hawkins at Suburban Bowlerama in 2009.

“We knew what the house record was, but we had no idea what the county record was,” said Hunter. “I don’t know if it would have helped us or not. I think we’re glad that we didn’t know. That took some of the pressure off of us.”

Don Smith added, “No one knew that we had set the county record until the next day. I’ve been bowling a long time, but I’ve never been on a team where all five guys rolled a 700 series.

“There are a lot of good bowlers in York County, and I’m just flattered to be part of team that set the county record.”

Gulden said, “I’m amazed what we accomplished. We’ve had some good matches this year, but the difference this night was that our light hits were carrying. We have five guys who are capable of rolling big games, and everyone had a good night.”

Neil Smith confessed that he was too nervous focusing on a possible 800 series to think much about the county record.

“Once I rolled the first strike in the 10th, I knew I had my 800 series,” he said. “I was able to relax a little after that.”

He added, “Being part of a record-setting team with my dad is very special to me. It was an unforgettable night.”

Baer said the team missed a chance to substantially pad their county-record total. After getting off to a quick start, Baer said neither team member rolled a strike in the 10th frame of the first game.

“After I rolled my first practice ball, I felt we were going to score big,” offered Hunter.

“There was a lot of area to play.”

Pella Corp.

Barry Gulden 252 216 245 715

Neil Smith 279 235 300 814

Don Smith 258 239 227 724

Brent Hunter 256 237 289 785

Adam Baer 218 269 235 722

Total 3,757

No comments:

Post a Comment