Friday, December 31, 2010

Slenker and Barshinger shine in state seniors tournament


Dane Slenker didn’t plan on competing in the Pennsylvania State Seniors Tournament this year, even though it was the first year the 55-year-old was eligible.

Slenker, a lefty from York, didn’t have a team to bowl with, and he didn’t want to travel to western Pennsylvania by himself. The singles and doubles events were held in Beaver Falls and the team event was held in Aliquippa.

Less than a week before the tournament, however, his friend, Charlie Earnst of Spring Grove, invited him to fill a vacancy on his team created by an illness. Slenker happily accepted and competed in singles, doubles and the team event.

Slenker made the most of the invitation as he garnered third-place finishes in Class 5 (ages 55-59) scratch all-events for six games and nine games and fourth in scratch singles. He teamed with Earnst to place 13th in scratch doubles.

“There’s a lot of competition in the youngest age division,” said Slenker. “I was very pleased with the way I bowled. It was a great experience. I’m glad I had a chance to go to the tournament.”

Dave Barshinger of York fared well in the Class 4 (ages 60-64). The 62-year-old right-hander finished fourth in handicapped singles and handicapped all-events for six games and nine games.

“I’ve been struggling on the lanes a bit because of a knee injury,” offered Barshinger. “So, I’ve very happy with the way I bowled. Actually, I had to slow my approach down due to the knee injury, and I think that helped me be more accurate.”

Barshinger was competing in his sixth Pennsylvania State Seniors Tournament.

“I try to bowl in all the state tournaments,” said Barshinger, who is past president of the Pennsylvania State Bowling Association. “I look forward to them because I know so many bowlers from across the state. I really enjoy the people aspect of the tournaments.”

Other area bowlers who fared well in the state seniors tournament include Greg Stiles and Bill Myers, who teamed to finish 38th in scratch doubles and Clifford Chapman, who finished fifth in Class 1 handicapped singles.

For a complete list of bowlers who cashed in the tournament, go to www.psbabowling.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment