Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hombach's 857 sets house record


Ed Hombach likened rolling an 857 series, which featured 34 of 36 possible strikes, to an out-of-body experience.

“It was surreal,” said Hombach, who recently registered games of 300, 279 and 278 at Colony Park Lanes East, setting the house record. He erased Chuck Geesey’s mark of 847, which had stood since 2001.

“It was like I was looking down, watching myself bowl. Everything was very easy, and it was as if I didn’t feel anything.”

Few bowlers ever experience being in such a zone.

The 43-year-old, right-hander from Mt. Wolf was two strikes away from a perfect night.

In the first frame of the second game, he pulled his initial shot, left the 3-10 and chopped it. In the first frame of third game, he recorded an eight-count.

“For some reason, I wasn’t relaxed the first frames of the last two games,” he said. “But I settled into a groove after that.”

Entering the third game, Hombach was focused on an 800 series, not the house record. After a shaky first frame, he quickly returned to his striking form.

He clinched his 800 series in the ninth frame. He wasn’t aware, however, that he needed the first two strikes in the 10th to tie Geesey’s house record.

“I’m glad I didn’t know,” he confessed. “I would rather just bowl and not worry about my score.”

A large group of bowlers had gathered behind Hombach to witness his 10th frame. His first shot didn’t come off of his hand the way he wanted it to, but it produced a strike. His second shot was solid, and the crowd roared when all the pins scattered.

“That’s when I knew I had tied the house record,” offered Hombach. “I knew the last ball would be the icing on the cake.”

Afterwards, Hombach exchanged high fives, hugs and handshakes with his fellow bowlers. Chuck Geesey was one of the first bowlers to congratulate him.

Although Hombach said it was a “cool feeling” to set the house record, he’s doesn’t think about records. He would rather have his team win than set personal records.

“Chuck’s record lasted for nine years. Who knows how long mine will last? It might only last nine weeks,” said Hombach.

No comments:

Post a Comment