Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Zelger misses county record by a single pin


It wasn’t a perfect night, but it was close to it.

Dave Zelger recently rolled games of 300, 277 and 300 at Lion Bowl for an 877 series, one pin shy of the county record set by Marvin Goldberg at Lion Bowl in 2000.

Zelger registered 33 of 36 strikes, including 21 in a row.

The only blemishes came in the 10th frame of the second game. With a chance to put together back-to-back perfect games, Zelger left the 4-7, which he converted. On the final ball of the frame, he picked up nine pins.

“I’ll admit that having a chance of back-to-back 300 games made me nervous,” said Zelger, who was named Male Bowler of the Decade for the 2000s by the York County Bowling Proprietors Association. “With so much adrenalin pumping, I tugged the ball a little, plus I was probably a little slower to the line.”

The veteran right-hander didn’t let the disappointing finish slow him now. He started a new strike streak in the third game.

“I was focusing on an 800 series,” he said. “I never thought about the county record. After missing the 300 in the second game, I was more determined the third game.”

Zelger reached the 800 plateau in the eighth frame. As some of the pressure lifted, he relaxed.

His first strike in the 10th was solid, but he needed some help on the second one. A messenger pin came across the lane to knock over the 9-pin. There was no doubt about the final strike as the crowd of onlookers erupted in celebration.

“It was an emotional moment for me,” said Zelger, “and I don’t usually show my emotions. I wasn’t disappointed that I didn’t tie or break the county record. After all, I didn’t have a chance at the county record after the second game. It was a super night.”

Jimmy Plessinger said, “Dave’s a great bowler and it doesn’t surprise me that he rolled an 877. Rolling a pair of perfect games in one night is unbelievable. He probably hit the pocket on every ball. Certainly, he was in a zone.”

Frank Curry added, “An 877 series is impressive no matter when or where you roll it. It’s tough to throw that many perfect shots.”

“You have to be at the top of your game to roll an 800 series of that caliber,” said Ken Dixon.

No comments:

Post a Comment