Monday, March 28, 2011

Himes raises the bar for senior bowlers


Glenn Himes, 68, recently raised the bar for senior bowlers in York County when he rolled games of 300, 267 and 274 for an 841 series at East Lincoln Lanes. Himes of York erased Frank Curry’s senior record of 837.

“I wasn’t aware of the county senior record,” offered Himes. “But, I’m overjoyed with what I’ve accomplished.”

After tallying 567 pins the first two games, Himes reminded himself to concentrate on the third game in order not to mess up an opportunity for an 800 series.

His concentration must have been at its peak as he reeled off the first seven strikes in the third game before a 10 pin stopped the streak. He converted the spare and added three more strikes before his final ball.

Despite his record-setting performance, Himes said he should have added a few more pins to his total. He chalked up only five pins on his final ball.

“I wasn’t focused,” he said. “I was distracted by the other bowlers, and I knew I already had a heck of a day.”

Don Dietz, who bowls with Himes, said, “Frankly, I don’t think there’s any senior bowler close to Glenn right now. He’s having an incredible year. I believe he’s averaging 228 or 229, the highest of his career.”

When asked about Himes’ attributes on the lanes, Dietz said, “Glenn can make adjustments quicker than anyone I’ve ever seen, and he raises his game as the competition increases.”

Himes has been bowling for 52 years, but he’s never experienced a season like this one.

“I’ve never had more than one 300 in a season. But, I’ve had five this season, plus two 800 series. I can’t really explain it,” commented Himes, has bowled equally well at East Lincoln Lanes, where he has an 800 series and three perfect games, and Suburban Bowlerama, where he has an 800 series and two perfect games.

It seems as if Himes would have a better chance of explaining nuclear fission than his successful 2010-2011 bowling season. He hasn’t purchased a new ball; he hasn’t changed his approach on the lanes; and he hasn’t gotten any younger.

“It’s been an unbelievable season,” he said. “My approach has been to not over think what I’m doing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment